Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Thanks Rwanda, For The Adventure

Well, my semester abroad in Rwanda has come to an end. One of my friends recently told me that i should write one last blog to have some sense of closure, so here it is. 
 
Rwanda is one amazing country; with a special story of conflict, hatred, reconciliation, healing, peace.. the list could go on about the things i have learned. My brother in law, Brian, asked me in a note to explain to him the personality of Rwanda as a country "places have such strange personalities" he wrote. 

So, for Brian, this is my interpretation of the 'personality' of Rwanda that i have experienced over the last four months:

The character of Rwanda is a beautiful and quiet old woman with an overly hospitable spirit and kind eyes. She is shy, yet colored brightly with rich tradition and literally with vivid fabric clothes. As you peel back the layers, you find a history full of deep suffering and pain; however, paired with a beautiful heart and a bright future. 

I could talk forever about the things i have learned, experienced, loved, and even hated about Rwanda. But for now, i will just share with you some of my favorite memories:
  • Sitting on top of land cruisers, overlooking Lake Kivu, driving through mountains and savannas, watching graceful, amazing animals in their natural habitat and the vastness of God's beautiful creation on the continent of Africa
  • Azizi Life adventures, sitting packed on the ground of a one-room, mud and thatched roofed house weaving, singing, snuggling, and loving with Rwandan women and their families
  • The long rides over and around mountains, 'the land of a thousand hills' - discovering Rwanda's unique beauty - who really lives in those completely secluded, one-room houses on the side of the cliff anyway? 
  • Sitting and laughing in the back with our house staff eating popcorn and speaking kinyarwanda (or trying)
  • Everything about my street boys; sitting in the bed of the trucks with them on house visits and hearing them scream my name when they saw me after my internship ended; chasing, tickling, and cheering with them at the VT boys soccer game; and hugging them at church
  • "Big Man Aerobics" and the aftermath: Our found kittens Tybo, and Matoke Rolls in honor of getting fat and working out
  • Easter at the GoED House 
  • Dish Duty with Ali and the house staff, dancing and singing 
  • Watching Lost marathons, playing Fish Bowl, laughing, eating, loving, and just hanging out with the family 

Thanks Rwanda, for the adventures; the love i've experienced, the family i have acquired, the reassurance of my passions, the things i have learned, the people i have met, the heros i now have, and the things i won't forget. 




PS! 

If anyone is interested or has a kind heart, one of my good Rwandan friends, JC, was accepted at Portland Community College in Portland, Oregon. However, he does not have the funds to attend, so he is raising support! JC volunteered with me at Africa New Life Ministries. He is one of the kindest, hardworking people i know. He asked me if i know anyone who would be willing to send the least bit of money to support him. This is what he said:

"Kimmie guess what? I'm raising up $6000 for two terms at PCC. I have written a letter and my story I am about to send it to my friend wherever they are. Please I need you to talk to your friends and find out if they can afford to support. And if there is any support you can send me a message I can give you the address in the US where you can send your funds. Thank you so much! 

For now to $6000 which I have to raise, I have got $1200 so far. I beleive I will reach my goal with your prayer and support financially! "

If you are able, you can send a check to the address below; this is the family who is collecting funds for JC until he can get to Portland. If you want to receive a letter from JC or want to know more, just contact me at my email, km1454@messiah.edu. 

2140 Nolan Lane, West Linn, OR 97068


Thanks for keeping up with my blog if you have! Some of you may know, i am planning on studying abroad again (!) next spring with GoED Mekong, in Thailand. This next program is similar to Rwanda's, yet in a very different context. I am anticipating what i will learn and what God has in store for me again. If you want to follow my Thailand blog, you can follow this blog by email, and i will post the link next winter before i leave. 

Amahoro! Ndagukunda, Rwanda. 





No comments:

Post a Comment