Monday, January 30, 2012

Achieving Peace


           photo cred to my good friend and roommate Alison Noelle Rogers; the Rwandan Flag

With two guest speakers coming to speak to our class about peace and reconciliation, I began to think more about the concept of peace. Recently I acquired a minor in Peace and Conflict Studies at Messiah College. How this came to be? I’m not really quite sure. The topic sounded interesting, so I decided I would take it on without much thought or consideration. However, I believe God has put this field of study in my life for a reason; and I believe He will use me to promote peace and reconciliation in many ways and in many places.
            Peace is something most humans inherently seek. Ignace Habimana, a Rwandan professor and peace advocate, came to speak in our “Issues in Peace Building” class. He had so many comments that really made me think about peace as a whole. He said to us, “reflection on the nature of peace is bound up with considerations of the causes for its absence or loss”. This made me think: What is the nature of peace? What is the nature of conflict? Why is there conflict? And, why is it implemented? Habimana gave some examples such as insecurity, injustice, and greed; but I believe conflict really stems from the evil nature of sin in our lives. Sin is inevitable; therefore, conflict is inevitable. How can we get around it? I don’t think we really ever can. It’s like the concept of poverty Dr. Jackson talks about: no one can eliminate conflict; we can only alleviate it to the best of our strengths and abilities.
            I then think about these questions: what sorts of programs or institutions have brought about peace and how? In other words, what has worked in the past? And, how can we alleviate conflict using the resources we have? Two institutions came to mind: the Olympics and the UN. The Olympics is an institution in which countries from all over the world come together in one place, first and foremost compete. However, peace happens here in other ways. Players meet, befriend each other, learn from each other, etc. The magnitude of the Olympics allows the world to interact on a different level than politics, economics, globalization, etc.
The other institution I thought of is the UN. An institution where so many countries from all over the world come together in unity to work towards the peace of nations - to work towards things such as eradication of poverty, women’s rights, education, adequate nutrition, and water sanitation – how can peace not be promoted? Peace is all-inclusive. It includes and it integrates. When you have so many countries coming together to work towards a common goal, peace can be present. 
Peace requires forgiveness, acceptance, sacrifice, love and selflessness. I think of the fruits of spirit in Galatians 5: 22. Can peace be fully achieved? According to Isaiah 2, peace cannot be achieved until the second coming of Christ; until the Kingdom of God is present. I’ve been reading a book called “Speaking of Jesus” by Carl Medearis. So many things Carl spoke about reminded me about our recent talks of peace. He talks about the disciples coming from different religious beliefs, sects and groups that hated each other. However, Jesus brought them together by a common relationship and a common goal; this bringing about peace with them. Carl states, “Jesus was their common thread. He was the one they all agreed on” (154). It’s as if people who originate with conflict come together to work towards a common goal, bringing about peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment